Potato Fry is everybody’s favorite , there cannot be anybody who hates it . This dish seems like a simple dish , but it is not so. Getting a crispy potato roast can be quiet a task. We , in Thamizh call it as “Urullaikizhangu Karamadhu“. The procedure is simple take about half a kilo of potato and cut them into equally sized cubes . I suggest you buy “Pahaadivala aloo“. To get a crispy potato _karamadhu ooty aloo _wins hands down.
|Medium sized potatoes||400-500 grams|
|Rice bran oil||5-6 tbsps|
|Mustard seeds||1 tsp|
|Channa dal / kadalai paruppu||1 tsp|
|White urad dal / ullundhu||1 tsp|
|Turmeric powder||¼ tsp|
|Red chilly powder||1 tsp|
|Kuzhambu Podi||2 tsp|
- Wash the potatoes , peel its skin and cut them into cubes.
- Take a _kadaai _that has a lid, and add cooking oil , keep this on medium high heat.
- Temper with mustard seeds , hing , chana dal and urad dal , curry leaves.
- Once the dals start browning add in the potatoes and give it a stir immediately, so that the dals don’t burn underneath the potatoes.
- Add salt , turmeric , red chilli powder and (click on the link) Kuzhambu podi and saute. Saute this for few minutes and close it with the lid.
- For every 2 minutes open the lid and saute the potatoes so that it cooks evenly . The Idea is that the potatoes will get tender and laterit will start getting crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. Continue doing this for about 10-12 minutes.
- After about 10 minutes you’ll notice that the quantity of the potatoes would have reduced to half , and it will look crispy.
- Once you achieve the required crispness , remove from heat and transfer it to a serving bowl.
1) When you cut the potatoes , cut them into small cubes instead of the large chunks.
2) As I mentioned above , ooty aloo is the best for south indian style of cooking , especially if the skin of the potato is red due to the mud and its size should be slightly larger than baby potatoes, then I guarantee the potato roast will come out very well.