Tanjore style raw banana stir fry is a delicacy from this region. This method is entirely different from a regular stir fry. First the Raw banana is peeled and chopped into bite size chunks which is first cooked in tamarind water. Then it is tempered with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Its very soft , tangy and spicy.
For the powder
- First peel and chop the raw bananas / plantains . cook them in tamarind water . Tamarind should be of the size of an amla / gooseberry. cook the raw bananas until they are tender.
- Remove the rinds of tamarind and take out the cooked plantains from the water and keep it aside.
- Take a kadaai add sesame oil and add all the ingredients given under “For the powder” except coconut . saute them until you get a nice aroma , transfer it to a blender and add the coconut , grind it to a coarse powder.
- In the same kadaai , add 3 tbsp cooking oil , temper the ingredients given under “Tempering” , add the cooked plantains , give it a nice stir so that it gets coated with the tempering evenly , then add the prepared powder and mix. Transfer it in a serving bowl.
- This can be served as an accompaniment with Ash gourd in sour curd gravy / pooshanikaai mor-kuzhambu