An excellent accompaniment for sambhar or rasam is Urullaikizhangu Podimas . A very simple , neat and healthy (consumes very less oil) tangy side dish.
4 – 5 tbsps oil
1 tsp mustard seed
2 tbsps chana dal and white urad daal
2 green chillies
3 dry red chillies
2 juice of lemons
400 grams boiled , peeled , chopped potato
1/4 tsp turmeric
grated coconut (optional)
finely chopped coriander leaves
- About 400 grams of potatoes are to be cooked in pressure cooker until 4 whistles or can be microwaved in power high for 8-10 minutes. Peel off the skin in running cold water and cut them into small pieces.
- Take a heavy bottomed kadaai. In medium high heat add 4-5 tbsp of cooking oil.
- Add mustard seeds , asafoetida , dry red chillies , chana dal and urad dal , green chillies , curry leaves and saute them until the dals turn golden brown in color .
- Add the boiled potatoes and saute them immediately , so that the tempering doesn’t burn.
- Add salt and turmeric powder sprinkle some water , so that all the ingredients bind together.
- Once the water gets absorbed add the lime juice , garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- If you like the flavor of coconut you can sprinkle grated coconut and stir it in.