A very common south Indian breakfast which is made out of rice and lentil , that is easy to prepare and gives you that long lasting satiation like no other dish.The month of December in Thamizh is called as Margazhi / Dhanur maasam , its very auspicious for lord krishna _and this was the month Andal , who was besotted with lord krishna , observed fasting everyday and she would prepare venn pongal and offer to lord krishna in order to show her devotion to him and proposed to marry him. Its a common prasadham that is offered to the god and is distributed to the devotees in all Vaishanava temples . Its Rich , creamy , and not very spicy , is always served with a _gojju , sambhar _or coconut chutney. Since I come from a _Tanjore _household , we accompany this with Tanjore style Kathrikaai Masiyal (Aubergiene Lentil stew).
- Take a kadaai and keep it on high heat . Heat up the kadaai to the max and switch off the stove. Add the moong dal to this and dry roast until you get a nice aroma , do not brown the dal.
- Take a vessel that fits into your pressure cooker , add the roasted moong dal and raw rice pour 5 cups of water and 1 cup of milk , use the same cup that you used to measure the rice and the dal .
- Adding milk for cooking the rice and dal gives a creamy texture and also makes the pongal rich in taste.
- Also add asafoetida to this and 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns. Pressure cook this up to 5 whistles. Switch off the heat let the pressure release on its own.
- Take the same kadaai you used to roast moong dal , keep it on medium high heat , add ghee and oil , add 1 tsp of cumin , black pepper powder , shredded ginger , curry leaves and broken cashews ( make sure the cashews are not too finely broken they are to be in bite sizes) .
- Once the cumin splutters and cashews turn brown add the cooked rice and dal , and stir immediately , add little water and salt and stir again. Mix them evenly and serve .