Mint Pulao / Pudhina Rice Bath is another awesomatic preparation by my mother . It requires no onion or garlic. Simple , tasty and hassle free. All you need is Mint , rice and everything Nice.
Arrange all the ingredients together and soak Basmati rice for 10 minutes in 1 cup of water. Use the same cup that you used to measure the rice.
You will need a pot / heavy bottomed kadaai , a ladle, a blender and a small pan jar to make this dish. Also a vessel to soak the rice.
|Basmati rice||1 cups|
|Pudhina / mint leaves||1 cup (tightly packed)|
|Cinnamon||½ inch piece|
|Dry red chillies||4-5(adjust to taste)|
|ginger||½ inch piece|
|Freshly grated coconut||1 handful|
|Potato(peeled , boiled and chopped)||1 big sized|
|Ghee / clarified butter||3-4 tbsps|
|Cooking oil||3-4 tbsps|
- Take a vessel to soak the rice in 1 cup of water.
- Take a blender jar and add cloves , cardamom , cinnamon ,salt,dry red chillies , green chillies , turmeric , ginger , coconut , pudhina and grind it to a fine paste. The paste should be in chutney like consistency .
- Take a kadaai , keep it on medium heat , add 3-4 tbsps of ghee and 3-4 tbsps of oil , tear the bay leaves and put it in the hot oil , then add the ground paste and saute this for about 2 minutes. You need not wait until the raw smell goes.
- After about two minutes add in the soaked rice. DO NOT add the water , DO NOT discard the water either.
- Mix in the rice , first add the rice water and stir , once it starts boiling add another cup of water. Mix and close this with a lid. Keep this on medium heat for about 15 minutes. Stir in between as the rice absorbs water , the bottom of the kadaai might burn. Be cautious in this stage.
- If you are not comfortable cooking the rice in a kadaai , transfer the entire mixture in a vessel and cook this in a rice cooker or pressure cooker.
- Meanwhile , take a pan and keep it on medium heat. Add the remaining ghee and oil , and roast the potatoes , with this roast the cashews too. Let them become golden brown in color.
- Once the rice is cooked add the fried potatoes and cashews and mix them evenly. Serve it hot with a raitha of your choice.