Mulai Keerai Masiyal or Dal Made with Amarnath leaves(spinach) , is a healthy , simple recipe dish which is eaten with plain rice.
The specialty of this dish is that I’ve not used pressure cooker to cook the spinach. I’ve cooked only the moong dal in pressure cooker , the leaves are cooked directly in a cooking pot.
To clean the leaves :
Take a big vessel , fill this vessel with 3/4th water and soak the Amarnath leaves for 5-7 minutes . Then pour this into the kitchen sink and rinse it under running water , strand by strand. If you get packaged leaves even then I suggest you wash it in the similar way , because amarnath leaves generally have very fine dirt or mud sticking to its leaves.
After cleaning the leaves thoroughly , chop it finely and keep it aside.
Pressure cook moong dal and keep it ready , the cooked dal comes up to 2 cups.
- Clean and chop the amarnath leaves ready. Also cook the moong dal and set it aside.
- Take the vessel containing the chopped leaves and keep it on the stove on low heat. Add required amount of salt and sprinkle little water , so that bottom of the vessel does not burn. (TIP: add a pinch of cooking soda , it retains the color of the leaves. Just a pinch and not too much. You can add sugar too but it will alter the taste. This type of spinach is not like palak , hence avoid using sugar.)
- Stir this continuously on low heat , for about 6-7 minutes. You can see that the quantity of the spinach leaves will reduce as it cooks. You can check the image below.
- Meanwhile , when the spinach is cooking , get the tempering ready. Take a kadaai , keep it on medium heat. Add ghee , mustard seeds , chana dal , white urad dal , dry red chillies(break the chillies while adding them) , cumin , and curry leaves. Saute this for about 2 minutes .
- Once the tempering is ready , add it to the cooking spinach and stir it. After this add the cooked moong dal to the spinach and mix.
- Allow this to boil for 2 minutes in low heat. Stir this in between. Take off the heat. Serve it hot with plain rice.
In case if you’ve added too much water or the cooked dal is to runny in consistency , after adding the dal , take a small bowl and mix 1 tbsp of rice flour and little water. Mix it without forming any lumps. Pour this mixture to the spinach and stir it in. This acts as a thickening agent.