Pannagam is a jaggery based sorbet that is spicy,tangy and sweet. It has a blast of flavors , best for digestion and is an excellent body coolant.
It is a simple drink made using Jaggery , Pepper , Lime juice , Cardamom , Saffron and Ginger. The name itself suggests “Pannagam” , a drink with 5 ingredients. Iron rich Jaggery increases the blood hemoglobin.Pepper powder stimulates the metabolism and helps in absorbing vitamins in blood.Cardamom powder increases blood flow to the brain thus enhancing the memory power.Lime juice helps in metabolism and also acts as a coolant.Ginger helps in digestion.Saffron gives color and also refreshes the senses. This drink is generally prepared as a “Prasadham” that is offered to “Lord Ram” and distributed in all the temples to the devotees on “Ram-navami” , which falls in the peak summer season.
This drink has to be served either lukewarm , in room temperature or chilled. Chilled sounds better to me 😉
|Jaggery||1 cup(200 grams)|
|Black pepper||1 tsp|
|Ginger||½ inch piece|
|Saffron strands||A few|
- Take a vessel and add the jaggery , sprinkle about 100 ml of water and melt the jaggery in low heat.
- Stir in between and mash the jaggery , it shouldn’t burn at the bottom. This step is important.
- The jaggery has to just about melt and no need to make it as a syrup by boiling it.Once the jaggery melts take it off the heat.
- Allow it to come to room temperature , it should be lukewarm.
- Now shred the ginger and add it to the jaggery water.
- Add a tablespoon of pepper powder , a pinch of saffron and mix.
- Squeeze the juice of 3 limes into this mixture and stir.
- Break the cardamoms with a pestle stone and add both the cardamom kernels and its skin into the mixture and stir.
- Add the remaining water and Chill it in the freezer for about 2 hours.
- While serving it in a glass , filter it and then serve , you need not eat the ingredients , you just need their flavor .