This is a very common and spicy vegetable side dish that is served in almost all south Indian weddings . It is simple , spicy and requires about less than 15 minutes to cook.
In my house we call this as “Paruppu araichu” because we soak and grind the lentils hence we call it so. Generally this is referred to as “Paruppu Usili” or “Usili”.
|Mixed vegetables (Carrot , potato, green beans)||3 cups|
|Channa Dal||4 tbsps|
|Toor dal||4 tbsps|
|dry red chillies||3|
|Salt||As per your taste|
|Rice bran oil||6 tbsps|
|Mustard seed||1 tsp|
- Clean and chop the veggies and set it aside. Soak the chana dal , toor dal and dry red chillies in water (the lentils have to just about submerge) in the blender jar for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes you’ll see that the lentils would have absorbed all the water now add required amount of salt , turmeric , green chillies , asafoetida and 4 strands of curry leaves. Grind it to a coarse paste. DO NOT add water , the water in the lentils will assist in grinding.
- Now take a kadaai , keep it on medium heat. Once the kadaai gets heated up add the required oil . After oil is heated crackle the mustard seeds and add a pinch of asafoetida. Now add the chopped vegetables and stir.
- Sprinkle little salt over the vegetables , add wisely because you have added in the paste too. After about 5 minutes check if the vegetables have cooked.
- At this stage add the ground lentil paste and mix it.
- In medium heat , keep stirring this for about 7-8 minutes. It’ll absorb all the oil and turn crisp.
- Take it off the heat and transfer this to a serving bowl.