Maangai Thokku / Raw Mango Pickle is a very simple pickle that does not need 4-5 days to prepare. This pickle is different and can be prepared in a jiffy.
I have used a type of raw mango that is very readily available , called “Killi Mooku Maanga” , it is named so because the tip of the mango resembles the beak of a parakeet .
I have peeled and shredded the mango , if you want you can even cut into your desired shape. This yields about 200 grams of pickle. If stored properly , this has a shelf life of 2 months or even more , depends on how well you store it. The day you prepare this keep it outside in room temperature , the next day put it in an air tight container and refrigerate it.
For roasting and grinding
- Peel and shred the raw mango and keep it ready
- Take a kadaai and keep it on high heat.
- Once the kadaai is heated up add fengreek and salt and dry roast them until fenugreek turns brown in color. Transfer this to a blender jar , then dry roast the dry red chillies until aromatic (do not burn them) and transfer this to same blender jar.
- Allow it to cool down for few minutes and then grind this to a fine powder.
- Take the same kadaai , keep it medium heat , add the oil.
- Once the oil gets heated , add a tsp of mustard seeds , asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Now add the shredded raw mango and saute. sprinkle turmeric powder and saute again. Add the roast and ground powder and mix it well.
- Allow this to cook in high heat for about 2-3 minutes. It’ll get aromatic , you can smell the spices and the mango and also it leave oil on its sides. At this stage take it off heat and transfer this to a clean and dry container.
- Serve this with curd rice or this tastes best when taken with dosa. You can also mix it with plain rice and eat it.