Rava Upma , sounds so poetic. This was the first dish I learnt when I was in 9th standard. I’m a Upma expert at home and my mum being a masterchef , has given me this certification. I kinda make this for breakfast or for evening tiffin.
This is very easy to make and that is why many people mess it up . Generally the simpler things are highly underrated and are detested the most. Some people make it dry , some burn this and make it smoky , very few people (like me) have the art of making this to perfection.
1 cup Rava / Semolina
- Finely chop the onion , shred the ginger , slit and chop the green chillies and keep them ready.
- Take a kadaai , keep it on medium heat.
- Add 3 tbsps of ghee and 3 tbsps of oil and allow it to heat.
- Now add asafoetida , mustard seeds , channa dal , urad dal , ginger , chillies and onion.Saute them until aromatic.
- Now add the semolina and saute this for about 1 minute.
- Now add 300 ml of water to this. With it add the required amount of salt and stir.
- Stir this continuously and allow it to boil. Semolina has the tendency of forming lumps. Stir it continuously and break the lumps. Care should be taken in this step as it tends to splutter on your hand and face. Do this step in medium heat. Garnish the finely chopped coriander leaves
- It takes about 2-3 minutes to absorb all the water . It becomes into a halwa.
- Now add the final tablespoon of ghee and mix. Take it off the heat and serve it hot with peanut chutney