Dal – Chaawal , an excellent comfort food which is easy to make and is also very light for your pallet. Dal-Chaawal is a frequent dinner time specialty in our house. My mum makes the best Dal-Fry which is way better than the one restaurants serve.
This Dal Fry is slightly different from my mum’s usual recipe , I’ve used “Knorr’s Dal Masala” instead of home made Garam Masala. After seeing their adverts on TV , I thought lemme try it yo’ and bought this from the local super market. Now I’m not endorsing it , I’m just sharing the recipe . You can also use garam masala instead of this .
My opinion on “Knorr’s Dal Masala” , its kind of pungent , with garlic being the most dominant one. Otherwise the taste is pretty decent and I will definitely use it for other north Indian based dishes. In fact it can be used in place of Garam Masala.
Take a cup of moong dal , add it into a microwaveable vessel. To this add 1 chopped onion , onion should be cut into juliennes , 1 chopped green and 2 potatoes , potatoes should be peeled and cut into quarters. Add a pinch of turmeric to this and add 3 cups of water. Now Keep this in microwave , set the timer to 12 minutes. After 12 minutes , take it out of the microwave , it’ll be half cooked , give it a light stir and keep it in the microwave again. This time set the timer to 10 minutes. After this the dal and the vegetables will be cooked. Take a Tadka Pan , keep it on medium heat , add 3 tbsps of butter , temper cumin seeds , add 1 chopped tomato and 1 green chilly. Saute this until tomato is soft , add this tadka to the dal , add salt and “Knorr’s Dal Masala” to the dal and mix. Dal fry is ready to be served.
- In a microwave safe vessel add a cup of uncooked moong dal , chopped onion(preferably shallots) , peeled and chopped potato and 1 green chilly. Cook this in microwave for 20 minutes in 2 intervals.(10 min each interval)
- Meanwhile , Take a kadaai , keep it on medium heat , add 3 tbsps of butter , crackle the cumin seeds , then add 1 chopped green chilly and chopped tomatoes.
- Saute this until tomato turns soft. Add little water and allow it to boil.
- Now add the cooked dal mixture and mix.
- To this add required amount of salt and 1 tbsp of Garam Masala. Mix it. And let it boil for 2 minutes. Stir in between.
- Take it off heat and serve it hot with Plain basmati rice or with Chapathi.
The consistency of the dal depends on your liking , it can either be of gravy type or you an add water to it and make it to runny consistency.