Aloo Pyaaz a simple indian side dish that can be eaten with both plain rice or with chappathi. Takes about 20 minutes to make.
1. Boil 6-7 medium sized potatoes in pressure cooker or in microwave oven. Peel the skin and cut them into quarters.
2. Take two medium sized onions and cut them into juliennes.
- 7 medium sized boiled , peeled and chopped potatoes
- 2 medium sized onions (chopped into juliennes)
- 4 tbsps rice bran oil
- 2 tbsps Ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- pinch of asafoetida
- 5-6 curry leaves
Powders and Taste Enhancers
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chilly powder
- 1 tbsp coriander-cumin powder
- Take a wok/ kadaai , keep it on medium heat. First add the ghee and then the oil. Ghee gives an extra flavor of richness and also makes the potato crispy.
- Temper with mustard seeds , cumin seeds , asafoetida and curry leaves.
- Add the boiled , peeled and chopped potatoes and saute.
- Add salt , turmeric powder , red chilly powder , black pepper powder and coriander-cumin powder and mix them evenly.
- Now add the chopped onions and roast this until crisp. It’ll take about 7-8 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and serve it hot.
For the coriander-cumin powder , I dry roasted 2 tbsps of coriander seeds and 2 tbsps of cumin seeds and ground them into a fine powder. You can also use ready made powder for this.