If it is Dal fry for the Hindi speaking folks , then for us Thamizh Speaking folks it is Paruppu Masiyal. One of the best comfort foods , simple ,easy and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. In karnataka they call this as “Hesaru Belley Thovey”. A slight variation is they add lemon juice ,instead in the masiyal we use Tamarind extract.
Take tamarind in the size of a small amla / gooseberry. I use black tamarind which is at least 6 months old. Soak it in lukewarm water for 10 minutes. This method will make it easy to take the extract.
Take about 2 cups ( 1 cup = 200 g) of moong dal / Paasi paruppu / hesaru belley , pressure cook this up to 4 whistles or if cooking in microwave then cook it for 16 minutes in power high.
Finely chop two green chillies and curry leaves , also finely chop coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Make the above mentioned Pre requisites ready , it’ll take about 15 minues to make them ready.
- Take a kadaai , keep it on medium heat. Add sesame oil and get the tempering ready.
- First add the compounded asafoetida , then crackle the mustard seeds along with fenugreek seeds and dry red chillies. Later add the chopped green chillies and curry leaves.
- Now add in the tamarind extract to this and allow it to boil until the raw smell goes. Add required amount of salt.
- Now add in the cooked moong dal to this and mix. Allow this to steep in medium heat for 5 minutes.Take it off the heat and serve it hot with plain rice.