Vegetable Salna is a madurai style dish which is generally served with Parota , Idiyappam or Chettinad Appam .
Medium in difficulty , yummy in taste and wowwie!! to look :D.
Boil the chopped vegetables in boiling water , I used 1 carrot , 8 french beans , 2 medium sized potatoes and about a handful of green peas. I’ve also added paneer for garnishing , but that is optional. If you have cauliflower you can add that too. Once the vegetables are cooked , strain it in a colander and keep it aside.
For roasting and grinding
- Make the above mentioned pre-requisite ready. It’ll take about 10-12 minutes for the vegetables to cook.
- Take a kadaai , keep it on medium heat. Add 3 tbsps of oil and add all the ingredients given under “Roasting and grinding”. Add them in the above mentioned order only.
- Saute them until aromatic or until the tomato turns soft and mushy. It should leave oil in the sides.
- Transfer this to a blender jar and grind it to a smooth paste without adding water.
- In the same kadaai , on medium heat , add 3 tbsps of oil , crackle fennel seeds and add green chillies and pudhina and saute them for few seconds.
- Add the cooked vegetables to this and saute.
- Now add turmeric , red chilly powder , coriander-cumin powder and mix.
- Now add the prepared paste to this and pour in 2 cups of water. Add required amount of salt and mix.
- Close this with a lid and allow it to cook in medium heat for about 7 minutes.
- Remove the lid and garnish it with some paneer and finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Take it off the heat and serve it hot.
While roasting the ingredients for the paste , add the coconut at the end and switch off the heat and then mix it. Over cooking the coconut will not give a desirable taste.