It is Thaii Velli today , that is in the thamizh calendar we call the month of january on sankranthi as Thaii and Fridays in this month are very auspicious. To celebrate fridays we make Turmaric Pongal , a very simple and unique preparation that is generally served only on auspicious occasions like sumangali pooja or on Gauri Vratha. Also this can also be prepared on any other day too. In fact it is one of those comfort foods that can be made on the days where you don’t want to work too much yet you want to have a hearty meal. Best accompaniment for this is Manathakkalli Mendhi Kuzhambu .
Guess what is my fav with this pongal? A simple Tomato rasam also tastes yum with this . How to eat it? Take a good serving of this pongal , make a small opening in between the pongal with your fingers and pour hot Tomato Rasam . Mix it and have a bite . It’ll taste just like _”Pappu mammu with Acham”. _Bestest thing to eat even if you are down with cold and flu. You can also have this with nice crispy jeera pappad or just plain appalam.
- Take raw rice and toor dal in a cooking container that’ll fit inside your pressure cooker.
- Wash rice and dal 4 times until the last rinse of water comes clean.
- Add in 6 cups of water , the ratio for cooking rice is 1:3 since we have added toor dal with this double the quantity of water that is the ratio should be 2:6. Add a tsp of turmeric to this.
- Cook this in pressure cooker up to 8 whistles. Switch off the stove and allow it to release the pressure on its own. Overall this will take about 20-25 minutes.
- Open the cooker , you’ll see that the rice and dal would have cooked up to mashable texture , in thamizh we call this as “kozhaiya Kozhaiya” or we iyengars use a term called “Allishal” and it should also have pouring consistency.
- Discard the water in the cooker that you would have used to cook the rice and dal , clean it with a clean towel and keep the cooker on medium heat.
- Let the water residue evaporate and add ghee to this. Add a generous pinch of asafoetida and pour the rice dal mixture into this and mix.
- Let it steep in low heat for about 7 minutes. Stir this in between .
- The consistency of the pongal will slightly become thicker ,at this stage remove it from heat and add coconut oil and mix.
- Serve this hot with Manathakkali Mendhi Kuzhambu and Pappad.
Since I like it in a lean consistency I’ve added extra water , if you want it like the consistency of Venn Pongal, reduce the water to 5 cups and allow this to boil for an extra minute.