This is a simple condiment coming from Tanjore. This is served with plain white rice and ghee.
2 compounded Asafoetida pellets
2 handfuls Toor dal
1 handful chana dal
2 tbsps pepper
6 dry red chillies
- Take a wok / kadaai , keep it on high heat.
- Add all the ingredients mentioned above to the hot wok and dry roast them until aromatic.
- Once the dals turn golden brown and the entire kitchen is filled with its aroma , take it off the heat and spread it on a clean plate.
- Allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Later add this roasted mixture to the blender jar and grind it to a fine powder.
- Transfer the powder onto a newspaper and allow it to cool down for about 15 minutes.
- Later transfer this to an air-tight jar and store it in a dry place.
No need to refrigerate this powder.