Chinna Vengaya Kuzhambu or in kannada we call this as Chikk eerulli sambar , very fragrant , very flavorful and do you know when this tastes best ? 4 days after its preparation ;D . I made this kuzhambu a day before leaving to Bangalore for our annual family get-together , and when I came back home after 4 days of celebrations and heavy eating , my tongue was yearning for something homely and simple. I was glad to find this safely stored in my fridge . All I did was cook the plain rice and fried some Vadaams to accompany this. It was yummm…mmmm..mmmm!!! 😀
For roasting and grinding
- First steep the tamarind in lukewarm water for 10 minutes and take its extract . You can either blend this in a blender or you squeeze out its juice with your hand . You need to approximately get around 200 ml of this.
- Take a wok / kadaai , keep it on medium heat. Add 2 tbsps of oil . First crackle the peppercorns , then add methi seeds , garlic , finely chopped onions and tomatoes. Saute this until tomatoes turn tender and mushy. Now add turmeric , red chilly powder and kuzhambu podi saute this.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the roasted contents to a blender jar , along with this add the coconut scrapings. Allow this to cool down for 5 minutes.
- After this cools down , without adding any water grind this to a fine paste.
- Now take a cooking pot or a steel vessel , keep this on medium heat , add 4 tbsps of sesame oil , when its heated up (takes about less than a minute) , temper the mustard seeds,asafoetida , methi seeds, fennel and curry leaves , then add the shallots and saute this until the shallots turn translucent ( will approximately take about a minute or two).
- When the shallots turn translucent , your kitchen will be filled with wonderful aroma , at this stage add the tamarind extract. Add it slowly because you are adding liquid on to a hot oil , hence it will start sizzling. Add the extract from the corner of the vessel , it will sizzle but it will not splutter on you. Add the required amount of salt for this dish.
- Allow it to boil for 4-5 minutes or until the raw smell leaves .
- Now add the prepared paste to this concoction and stir. Add about 200 ml of water . Let it boil for another 2 minutes.
- Take it off the heat serve it hot with plain rice.
Click here for Kuzhambu Podi recipe.