Thakali Gotsu or Tomato Gojju is an excellent accompaniment for Rava Pongal or Venn Pongal. This can also be eaten with plain rice or you can make this gojju and store it in an air-tight container and refrigerate it .
A very simple and slightly sweet dish. The one I’m going to post about is “No Onion , No Garlic” type. If you want you can add onion along with the tomatoes.
Firstly take a small gooseberry sized tamarind and steep it in lukewarm water for about 10 minutes. Take about 1/2 a kilo of tomatoes , cut them into quarters or you can cut them into small cubes. Slit 2 green chillies and take about 5-6 curry leaves. In a big pot or a wok , on medium heat , add 4-5 tbsps of sesame oil , crackle 1 tsp mustard seeds , add a pinch of asafoetida , then add curry leaves , green chillies and chopped tomatoes. Saute them until tomatoes become soft and tender. Now add half a tsp of turmeric , red chilly powder and 2 tbsps of Kuzhambu Podi. Saute them together and add tamarind extract. Add required amount of salt and add about 3 tbsps of shredded jaggery. Let it boil for about 5 minutes or until the concoction comes to a thick consistency. Take it off the heat and serve it hot.
1/2 kg Tomatoes
For Thickening the gojju
- Soak the tamarind in lukewarm water for 10 minutes and take its extract.
- Chop the tomatoes to your desired size and slit two green chillies.
- Take a wok or a heavy bottom vessel , keep it on medium heat and add sesame oil. Crackle mustard seeds and add asafoetida , urad dal , chana dal , green chillies , curry leaves and chopped tomatoes. Saute them until tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- At this stage add all the powder ingredients (turmeric , red chilly powder and kuzhambu Powder) and saute them well. Then add tamarind extract along with 2 cups of water. Add required amount of salt and jaggery.
- Allow the concoction to boil for 5-6 minutes or until the consistency thickens. If it does not get thick , mix 2 tbsps of rice flour with 2 tbsps of water and make it into a paste and add it to the gojju. This acts as a thickening agent.
Click here for Kuzhambu Podi recipe.