Originally from kerala , this dish has various avatars and variations to the recipes. I absolutely have no idea of the original recipe , but all I know is this is a dish that is made to celebrate the year’s harvest. And any type of vegetable can be used to make this dish. Aviyal – an Amalgam of all the season’s produce is cooked in a coconut based spicy stew and served with plain rice and pappadam.
In our household we generally make this when there is only one piece of various vegetables, for example – there will be 1 carrot , 2 aubergines , 1 plantain , few green beans , few potatoes. so in that case we wouldn’t want to buy anything new and at the sametime we won’t have the heart to waste these vegetables. Hence my grandmum’s solution for this was always aviyal.
The Assortment of vegetables that I have used are :
1 drumstick(Murungakaai) , 2 carrots , 4 aubergines(Kathrikaai) , 5 colacasiya(Sepankizhangu),200 grams of yellow pumpkin , 200 grams of white pumpkin , 3 potatoes , 100 grams of green beans , 1 handfull of green peas.
Aviyal /Mixed vegetable stew
- Gather all the vegetables and chop them.
- Colacasiya(Sepankizhangu / Arbi) must be pre cooked in pressure cooker up to 1 whistle and its skin is peeled and chop it into small chunks.
- Drumstick should be chopped into bite sized chunks and cook it in water in the microwave up to 10 minutes.
- Peel the pumpkins(yellow and white) and chop them into bite sizes.
- Peel the carrots and chop them into small cubes.
- Peel the green beans’s ends and chop them into small cubes.
- Peel the potatoes and chop them into small bite sizes.
- If using fresh green peas you can directly cook them with the other veggies , if using frozen , pre cook them in water for about 5 minutes in microwave.
- Take a big pot , on low heat all the veggies that are not pre cooked ( pumpkins , carrots , green beans and green peas) . Add 3 cups of water and sufficient amount of salt. Slightly increase the heat to medium. Do not cook it in high as it might cause the water to vaporize quicker and the vegetables will be under cooked.
- Allow this to boil until all the veggies cook to perfection.(Approximately will take about 15-17 minutes)
- Meanwhile gather the items mentioned under “grinding” , in a blender jar and grind it to a smooth paste by adding little water. The consistency should be like a chutney.
- Once the vegetables in the pot is ready add the pre cooked vegetables(Colacasiya and drumstick) to this.
- Now add the paste along with the sour curd. Mix everything well. And allow this to boil for 5 minutes. Or until it takes in all the flavors.
- Add generous amount of coconut oil( 100 ml) and fry few curry leaves in coconut oil and add it to the boiling aviyal.
- Take it off the heat and serve it hot with plain rice or Phulkas.
- DO NOT PRESSURE COOK THE VEGGIES , AS IT WILL LOSE ITS COLOUR AND NUTRITION.
- Colacasiya is the only vegetable that needs to be pressure cooked .
- Drumsticks will not cook properly when added with other vegetables , hence it has to be cooked seperately.
- You can add any vegetable of your choice.
- The quantity of green chillies mentioned above is for medium sized ones , as they are lesser in spice levels. You can adjust the amount of chillies to your taste.
- Rice flour is added as a thickening agent.