Maangai Pisiru or this is also called as ‘Thundu maangai’ , this is a quick fix when you are craving for pickles.” ‘Tis the season of making mango pickles” , so start off this season by making this 5 minute pickle.
Yep!! you read it right , it just takes 5 nimitssss!!! its very simple and hassle free. If you are bored of having oily and salty pickles or those vinegar based ones , you can opt for this.
It tastes yummmmm…mmm…mmm!! with curd rice. Also goes very well with dal-chaawal and phulkas.
We choose between two types of mangoes , one is called as ‘Killi mooku maangai’ , it resembles the beak of a parakeet hence the name , and another one is called as “Thokku maangai” , it is exclusively used to make pickles and thokku. The one I’ve used is “Thokku Maangai” , chop it into small pieces , put it in a bowl and add a tsp of turmeric , red chilly powder and salt. Mix them using a spoon. Take a tadka pan , on medium heat , add 2 tsps of sesame oil , add a pinch of asafoetida , mustard seeds and few curry leaves , saute them for about 30 seconds and add it to the mango mixture and mix them well. Serve this after about 15 minutes or you can dive in immediately like I do 😀 😉
5 Minute Mango Pickle
- Chop the raw mango to your desired shape. You need not peel its skin.
- Add the powders ( turmeric , red chilly and salt) , mix this with a spoon.
- Take a tadka pan , on medium heat , add sesame oil and all the other ingredients mentioned under ‘Tempering’.
- Transfer this to the mango mixture and mix.
- This method can be used to a half ripened mango too.
- You can eat this directly like a snack with tea / coffee or it is best served with curd rice or dal-chaawal.
- This preparation of pickle has a shelf life of one day.