The hotel style kurmas that are served with Appam or Parotta in South Indian restaurants have always been a fascination to me. I’d order extra parotta or Appam just to eat a second serving of the kurma.
When I was loitering around pinterest for inspirations for my next post , I came across this recipe written by my favorite blogger. I follow her recipes w.r.t chettinad cuisine. So I had to try it and satiate my kurma cravings. So here it is my version of the Hotel Style Vegetable Kurma.
- Soak 3 tbsps of poppy seeds and 1 handful of cashew in lukewarm water for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile get the assortment of veggies ready ( I used 3 medium potatoes , 2 small carrots , 1 handfull frozen green peas , 1 cup of cauliflower florets , 10 green beans). Peel them and chop them to small cubes. Pressure cook them upto 2 whistles or cook in microwave for 15 minutes.
- Finely chop 3 medium sized tomatoes and 2 big onions.
- Slit 3 green chillies , take 3 cardamoms , 3 cloves , 1 inch of cinnamon and 1 bay leaf.
For the gravy
For the Paste
- Make the above mentioned pre-requisites ready. It’ll take about 20 minutes for the entire prep process.
- Finely chop the tomatoes and onions , slit the green chillies and keep it aside.
- Add the coconut scrapings to the soaked poppy seeds and cashews , grind it to a fine paste.
- Take a wok , on medium heat , add oil and butter. Add all the spices along with green chillies , saute them until aromatic.
- Add chopped onions and saute until aromatic.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell goes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and saute until tomatoes turn soft.
- Make the heat to low , then add the cooked vegetables and mix(Do not add its stock now).
- Now add the paste and mix.
- Add curd and mix.
- Now add all the powders along with salt and mix.
- Close the wok with a lid and allow it to cook on medium high heat for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes , open the lid and add the vegetable stock and milk. Mix them thoroughly and close it with the lid again. Cook it on low heat for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot with Parotta , Appam , Set Dosa or Oothappam.