*Orange wedges in chorus*
“Please don’t throw away our skin.”
“They are our ‘Peelings’ you know…”
Sorry that was a bad joke. I sometimes overwhelm / underwhelm people with my ‘punny’ jokes. But the fact is true , I don’t like wasting orange peels , so my mum and grandmum used to make this yummylicious , no podi , no masala pickle which takes exactly 20 minutes to make. All you need is fresh peels of oranges and you are good to go.
Buy oranges that are entirely orange , it shouldn’t have that green tinge on them and no brown specks. Always go for ‘Kodagu‘ orange , they are the best for this thokku. This thokku is not very spicy and can also be mixed with plain rice and eaten.
If the orange is sweet then the Thokku will also taste sweet. If the orange is too sour , then the Thokku also turn out sour. So adjust the ingredients according to the taste of the orange.
Orange peel Thokku / Pickle
- Take the peels of oranges and chop them finely. Finely chop the green chillies.
- Soak a small lime sized tamarind in lukewarm water for 10 minutes and take its extract.
- Peel the skin of ginger and grind it in a blender jar without adding water.
- Take a steel vessel or wok , on medium heat , add asafoetida ,mustard seeds and urad dal. Saute them for a minute.
- Now add finely chopped green chillies and saute.
- Next add the ginger and saute for a minute.
- Now add the chopped orange peels and saute them until aromatic. After about 3 minutes they’ll become soft.
- At this stage add the tamarind extract.
- Add salt , turmeric and let it boil in low heat(for about 15 minutes) . The orange and other ingredients will start absorbing the tamarind extract and start to thicken , at this stage add jaggery and mix until jaggery dissolves.
- Take it off the heat and store it in a glass jar. This will stay good for 1 month , if kept in a cool and dry place.