Kariveppalai Podi or Curry leaves spice powder , is an excellent condiment that is mixed with hot plain rice and topped with a generous tablespoon of ghee. Super fast , super healthy and tasty preparation.
Kariveppalai Podi / Curry leaves spice powder
- De stem the curry leaves and wash them thoroughly , spread it on a plate and microwave this for about 30 – 40 seconds to remove the moisture.
- Take a wok ,on medium heat, add 2 tbsps of sesame oil , add the asafoetida pellets and fry them.
- Now add tamarind saute this for about 1 minute or until the tamarind looks cooked , add white urad dal and dry red chillies , saute them until urad dal becomes golden brown in color.
- Simmer the heat ,add salt and mix . Switch off the heat , transfer this to a blender jar. To this add the curry leaves and grind it to a fine powder.
My thoughts :
- I never mention the amount of salt to be added in any of my recipe post , because one can measure sugar and spice levels but salt is something that cannot be quantified. The preference of salt differs from person to person. So one must be wise enough to know how much salt has to be added to a dish in accordance to its quantity.
- Instead of drying the curry leaves in microwave , you can just dry saute this in the wok and set it aside.
- When you grind the powder using your blender jar , the texture of the powder will not be similar to the ones you get in the stores , the powders that are sold are branded ones where they can afford to grind it with a better capacity machine. So do not compare the texture of a store bought powder to a homemade powder.
- This curry leaves spice powder will look slightly muddy in texture due to the moisture content in the tamarind and the contents are sauted in oil . So do not be alarmed. I like this powder to be a bit coarse. If you want it to be smoother than the one I have showed in the picture , you can grind it for an extra minute or so and make it a fine powder.