In my previous post ( Pudalangai Kootu) I have mentioned about the goodness of the snake gourd and how it is chopped and how to buy from the local grocer’s store. In this post I’ll be explaining about a unique style of preparation that is not made too often in many households. Paruppu-Araichu (Usili) is a mixture of lentils and vegetables , that is usually made using green beans or cluster beans and sometimes using potatoes .Not many know or do this dish using pudalangai (snake gourd) . So here I’m going to present to you a very unique preparation that not many know about but will definitely love to try it out.
Clean the snake gourd with water and remove its seeds. Slice them into small pieces . Soak 4 tbsps of toor dal (pigeon pea) and channa dal in water(it should just about submerge) for 30 minutes.
Now take a wok , on medium heat , add 3 tbsps of oil , temper it with mustard seeds and asafoetida. Now add the chopped pudalangai / snake gourd and saute . Sprinkle little salt and little cooking soda(optional) and mix. Saute the veggies until they turn tender. This will take about 10-12 minutes.
Meanwhile , take the soaked dals in a blender jar , after 30 minutes you’ll see that the dals would have absorbed all the water , to this add little sea salt , remember you have already added salt to the snake gourd so add wisely , 5-6 curry leaves , 1 green chilly and 6 dry red chillies. Grind this to a coarse paste. The paste should look hard and at the same time it should be soft to touch. DO NOT ADD WATER TO GRIND THIS.
Now check whether the snake gourd has cooked to perfection ,now simmer the flame to low and take it out of the wok and keep it in a plate , leave the oil in the wok , now add the ground dal paste to the wok and saute it until aromatic or until the raw smell leaves , this will take about 2-3 minutes. Now add the cooked snake gourd to this , mix it the dals and veggies thoroughly , do not mash them while mixing. Switch off the flame and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves and little grated coconut.
OTHER STIR FRY BASED RECIPES
- Chop the snake gourd and soak toor dal and channa dal (3 tbsps each) in water for 30 minutes.
- Take a wok , on medium heat , add oil . Once the oil gets heated up add mustard seeds , asafoetida and curry leaves. Then add the chopped pudalangai / snake gourd and saute.
- Sprinkle little salt to this and mix. Allow this to cook on medium heat for about 10-12 minutes or until the the pudalangai becomes tender. Saute this in 1 minute intervals to avoid burning.
- Meanwhile , take the soaked channa dal and toor dal in a blender jar , add salt , 1 green chilly , turmeric powder and 5 dry red chillies. Grind this to a coarse paste (DO NOT ADD WATER WHILE GRINDING).
- Once the pudalangai / snake gourd is cooked,simmer the heat , take it out in a plate , leave the oil in the wok itself. Now add the ground paste to the wok and saute this for about 2 minutes or until the raw smell leaves.
- To this add the cooked pudalangai and mix them thoroughly. Switch off the heat.
- Garnish it with coconut scrapings and chopped coriander leaves. transfer this to a serving bowl and serve it hot.