Onion Peas pulao , a favorite dish of mine , which my mother used to prepare quiet often when I was in school for my lunchbox. A very easy rice dish , it is one of those famous “One pot rice dish” that trends in pinterest. The method I’m going to explain is the traditional method. I did not cook it in a pressure cooker instead cooked this in the Kadaai / Wok itself.
This pulao has the flavor of the onion and is enriched with the goodness of peas. A very easy and hassle free recipe , does not require garam masala.
- 3 medium sized onions(roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 green chillies
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup basmathi Rice or jeera samba rice or raw rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk (Unboiled or Boiled)
- Salt as required to your taste
- 4 tbsps ghee
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- 3 green cardamoms
- 1 tsp cumin seeds(jeera)
- 1 slit green chilly
- Measure Basmathi rice in a measuring cup (My measuring cup’s qty is 300 grams) , wash it and soak it in water for 15 minutes.
- While the rice is soaking , take a blender jar , add the chopped onions , green chillies , ginger and garlic. Add little water , about 2 tsps and grind this to a smooth paste.
- Take a dry wok or pressure cooker(I leave it to your choice , I used a wok to cook this) , on medium heat add ghee. Temper it with bay leaf , cumin seeds , cloves , cardamoms and 1 slit green chilly and saute this until the cumin crackles.
- Now add the onion paste and saute this until aromatic or until the raw smell arises. This will take about 5-6 minutes , you will see the white paste of onion will turn brown in color.
- Discard the water from the rice and add it to the sauteed onion paste and mix them. Add 2 and a half cups of water and 1/2 cup of milk(Use the same cup used to measure the rice) . Milk makes the pulao rich and enhances the taste. Add the required amount of salt , green peas and cover the wok with a lid and cook it on medium heat until rice becomes soft (This will take about 15-20 minutes , stir the rice in between).
- Once the rice is cooked , with the help of a fork fluff the rice and remove it from the heat.
- Serve this hot with jeera pappad and any raitha of your choice.
- If cooking in a pressure cooker then cook this up to 4 whistles , allow the pressure to release on its own and then remove the lid.
If you are a beginner in cooking , I suggest you to cook this in pressure cooker. If not you can cook the pulao directly in a wok.