Pudalangai Poricha kootu , a Snake gourd based stew that is cooked using moong dal. It is called as poricha kootu because the spices for this kootu is roasted in ghee or oil and then they are ground to a paste with little grated coconut. There are many variations to the poricha kootu , the one I’m writing about is “Tanjore style poricha kootu”.
Firstly ,buy a snake gourd that is long , lean and very tender. Do not go for the hybrid ones that are short and stout. They are not that tasty and also it does not give that authentic taste to this kootu preparation.
Take the snake gourd (I used one long gourd that weighed around 200 grams), chop of its ends and make a slit in between , take out its seeds and cut it into small semi circle pieces.
Add these pieces along with 100 grams of moong dal and pressure cook them for 3-4 whistles , let the pressure come out on its own , which will take about 20 minutes , later open the cooker.
A healthier option to cooking this is , which I personally prefer is , cook the moong dal in pressure cooker up to 4 whistles and take a vessel , add the gourd and 5-6 leaves of curry leaves into it and add water , the gourd should just about immerse. Now add little salt to this and cook in medium heat for about 7-10 minutes.
Now while the moong dal and the gourd is cooking , take a wok or kadaai , keep it on medium heat , make sure there is not moisture in the wok , add one tablespoon of ghee , add a tsp of white urad dal , 2 green chillies and 3 red chillies , saute this until the urad dal turns golden brown in color.
Take a mixer jar add a tsp of black peppercorns , a tsp of cumin seeds or jeera , salt to taste and one handful of freshly grated coconut. Now to this add the roasted ingredients ,add little water and grind this to a smooth paste. The consistency of the paste should be of a chutney.
Add the cooked moong dal to the boiling snake gourd , add the freshly ground paste to this and give this a quick mix. Allow this mixture to cook for about 3-4 minutes in medium heat. Make sure to stir the min between to avoid burning at the bottom of the vessel.
Take a tadka pan , add a tsp of ghee and add 1 tsp mustard seeds , let it crackle and add this to the kootu. Now the freshly prepared Pudalangai Poricha Kootu is ready to be served.
Pudalangai Poricha Kootu
Roasting and grinding
- Chop the snake gourd or pudalangai to your desired size.
- Cook moong dal in pressure cooker up to 4 whistles , let the pressure come out on its own and then open the lid. Mash the dal with back of a rounded ladle.
- Cook the gourd in a vessel filled with water , the gourd should just about be immersed in water. Add little salt and 5-6 curry leaves. cook this on medium heat for about 7-10 minutes.
- Roasting : Meanwhile , take a wok or kadaai or even a small tadka pan should do , keep it on medium heat , add a tsp of ghee , add a tsp of white urad dal , 2 green chillies and 3 dried red chillies. Saute this until the white urad dal turns golden in color , take it off the heat and transfer it to a mixer jar.
- Grinding : In the mixer jar add a tsp of cumin seeds or jeera , a tsp of black peppercorns , required amount of salt and 1 handful of freshly grated coconut along with the roasted ingredients. Add little water and grind this to smooth paste.
- Now add the cooked moong dal to the vessel containing the gourd , add the freshly prepared paste and mix.
- Allow this to boil for about 5 minutes in medium to low heat , stir in between.
- Take the same tadka pan or wok that you used to saute the ingredients , on medium heat , add a tsp of ghee and a tsp of mustard seeds , let it crackle. Add this tempering to the boiling stew or kootu and Take it off the heat. Serve it hot with plain rice.