Batata Vada or Urullaikizhangu bonda , is a very famous Indian tea time snack that is made using boiled potatoes. This is generally served with coconut chutney and a nice cup of Masala Chai.
Batata Vada / Urullaikizhangu Bonda
- 3 medium sized boiled potatoes
- 3 green chillies
- 1 handful chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 inch ginger
- a pinch of asafoetida
- 1 lime
- oil for deep frying and for sauteing the spices
For the Batter
- 1 cup gram flour
- 2 tsps red chilly powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 pinch of asafoetida
- water to prepare it in dosa batter consistency
- 1 pinch cooking soda
- For the filling : Boil the potatoes , peel its skin and mash them thoroughly. Sprinkle required amount of salt and mix.
- Now grind green chillies , ginger ,coriander leaves and add little water, to a smooth paste.
- Take small pan , add a tbsp of oil , keep this on medium heat. Add a pinch of asafoetida and add the ground paste. Saute this until the raw smell emanates and all the moisture in the paste should evaporate.
- Now add this paste to the potatoes and gently mix them.
- For The Batter : In a mixing bowl , add all the ingredients mentioned under “Batter” and mix them by adding water gradually , the batter should not be too thick and not too thin.
- Frying the Bondas : Take a heavy bottomed wok or kadaai , add oil for deep frying and keep it on low heat.
- Meanwhile , Take small portions of the potato mixture and shape them into small balls.
- Now slightly increase the heat of the oil , add a drop of batter into the oil and check if its ready for frying. The batter should immediately rise up on the surface and it should form bubbles around it.
- Now dip the potato balls into the batter , make sure they are evenly coated , dip these coated balls slowly into the hot oil. Fry 3 bondas at a time.
- Fry them until golden brown and put them on an absorbent paper to remove excess oil.
- Serve this hot with any chutney of your choice along with masala chai.
TIP : While frying the bondas , increase the heat to high . While removing them from the oil , simmer the heat. Add the bondas into the oil while the heat is sim.