Mixed Vegetable Sabji , a versatile side dish that goes along with rice or phulkas or Rotis. This dish took me about 10 minutes to prepare and 10 minutes to cook overall the cooking period for this dish is 15-20 minutes max. This yields about 5-6 servings. This dish does not have any specific set of vegetables to be used. You can add any combination of vegetables of you want.
I’ve used One medium sized carrot , one medium sized potato , 100 grams of cauliflower florets , 1 small capsicum or green bell pepper , 100 grams of frozen green peas , 3 green chillies and one medium sized onion. You can even add sweet corn and broccoli to this dish.
There are two ways of preparing this sabji , one is to toss all the vegetables in a wok and allow it to cook in the wok for about 10 minutes or until all of them are soft and then adding the sabji masala and mixing it or pre cook the vegetables in a steamer and then toss it in little oil or ghee and mix it with sabji masala.
My suggestion is to precook the veggies , because vegetables like cauliflower and carrot would consume time to cook or sometimes they will just roast in the oil but will not cook soft. Hence I prefer steaming the vegetables for this dish.
Mixed Vegetable Sabji
- 1 medium sized carrot
- 1 medium sized potato
- 1 small capsicum or green bell pepper
- 100 grams cauliflower florets
- 100 grams frozen or fresh green peas
- 1 medium sized onion
- 3 green chillies
- finely chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- 1 tsp Sabji masala or Garam masala
- 1/4 tsp kasuri methi or dried fenugreek leaves
- 3 tbsps ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds or jeera
- 1 pinch asafoetida
- First wash all the vegetables , Peel and chop carrot and potato into cubes .Then dice the capsicum into cubes. Finely chop the onion.
- Take a steamer , add all the vegetables mentioned above, except capsicum , green chillies and onion.
- Steam the vegetables for about 8-10 minutes in microwave oven in power high.
- Take a wok , keep it on medium heat , add 3 tbsps of ghee or any cooking oil of your choice. crackle cumin seeds and add a pinch of asafoetida.
- Now add finely chopped green chillies and onion. Saute them until onion turns translucent or pink in color.
- Now add the steamed vegetables and mix them thoroughly.
- Finally add the capsicum and saute. The capsicum has to be just about cooked yet crunchy , hence this is added at the end to retain its color and taste.
- Now add required amount of salt for this dish , sabji masala , for this dish I suggest you use sabji masala instead of the usual garam masala , you do get this in super markets , I’ve used Everest’s Sabji Masala , in case you do not get this spice mix , you can add garam masala.
- Saute them and finally add crushed kasuri methi , you can crush this by rubbing it in between your palms. Some people dry roast the kasuri methi and then add it , but I like it without roasting.
- Give all of this a good mix. Take it off the heat and transfer it to a serving bowl and garnish it with finely chopped coriander leaves.
I have a steamer that is microwaveable , hence I’ve used it to prepare this and also I’ve mentioned it above. You can even pressure cook the veggies or cook the veggies in boiling water.