Varutha Podi Saathumadhu , literally means that the ingredients for rasam are freshly roasted in ghee and ground to a fine powder just before preparing the rasam.
In this post I’m also going to write about Saathumadhu Saadham / Rasam rice. One might think that “what is there in writing about it , you mix rice and rasam . Voila! saathumadhu saadham is ready”.
Well I’m going to share with you “Pattappa’s” style of famous saathumadhu saadham which he serves in almost all wedding ceremonies. Even in his latest venture as restaurateur in Chennai , he had served saathumadhu saadham. It is simple but it is NOT the usual method of mixing rice and saathumadhu in a bowl .
The beauty of this dish lies in these fresh ingredients. No Coconut required for this recipe.
To make the tomato rasam follow the steps from my previous post .
Instead of adding the regular rasam powder , add the one I’m explaining about in this post.
- cuisine : South Indian
- course or type : Main course
- preparation time : 15 min
- difficulty : medium
- cooking time : 15 min
Ingredients for roasting and grinding the powder
|Ghee / clarified butter||1 tbsp|
|Toor dal / thuvaram paruppu||1 tbsp|
|Coriander seeds||1 tbsp|
|Black pepper corns||½ tsp|
|Curry leaves, dry red chillies||6-8 , 4|
|Ghee / clarified butter||1 tsp|
|Black pepper powder||1 tsp|
|Mustard seeds||1 tsp|
- Take a kadaai , keep it on medium heat. Add all the ingredients one by one given under “Ingredients for roasting and grinding” , except cumin .
- Saute them until aromatic.
- Take a blender jar , add cumin and the roasted ingredients , grind it to a fine powder.
4. Use this powder while preparing tomato rasam or any type of rasam , instead of using the usual rasam powder.
5. Once you finish adding the powder to the rasam , take a small tadka pan or thallikira karandi , keep this on medium heat and temper the items given under “Tempering”. Add this to the rasam and take it off the heat.
- Take a wide mouthed kadaai , keep it on medium heat. Add 3 tbsps of ghee / clarified butter.
- Add 2 cups of cooked rice and mix it with spatula. Slightly mash the rice with the back of spatula.
- Now add 4-5 ladles of prepared Saathumadhu / Rasam to this and mix. Slightly increase the heat and let it boil for 2 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and transfer it to a serving bowl and serve hot.