Maa Laddoo or Moong dal Laddoo is a simple Lentil based roundles that is prepared in every Indian household. There are various types of making this sweet dish , differing form household to household.
To start off with , Moong dal or Paithamparuppu is dry roasted in a wok until it turns brown in color , later it is pounded to fine powder and mixed along with powdered sugar. For flavor cardamom powder and dry ginger powder is added. To this we add melted ghee and make it into small laddoos.
NO MILK , NO COCONUT or CONDENSED MILK REQUIRED
- Cuisine : Indian
- Course : Sweet / festival delight / truffle
- Preparation time : 10 min
- Difficulty : medium
- Cooking time : 10 min
- Yield : 10 laddoos
|Moong dal / Paitham paruppu||75 grams|
|Cardamom powder||¼ tsp|
|Dry ginger powder||¼ tsp|
|Melted Ghee / clarified butter||4-5 tbsps|
|Broken cashwenuts||1 handful|
- Take a heavy bottomed kadaai or wok , keep this on medium flame.
- Once the wok is heated add in the moong dal and dry saute until aromatic .
- Once the dal starts to turn brown in color , take it off the heat and continue roasting it in the latent heat of the kadaai.This will take about 3-4 min.
- Transfer this onto a plate and let it cool down.
- Now take a blender and add sugar. Blitz it to a fine powder and set it aside.
- In the blender , take the roasted moong dal and grind it to a fine powder or a slightly coarse powder. If you want a fine looking laddoo then grind it until smooth. If you like a slightly rough textured laddoo then grind it to a coarse powder. The texture of the laddoo depends on your liking.
- Now combine powdered sugar and moong dal in a plate.
- Add cardamom powder , dry ginger powder and a pinch of salt.
- Now take a tadka pan , roast the broken cashew nuts in ghee and add it along with the ghee in the powdered mixture.
- with the help of your hand , start combing it together and start forming small or medium sized laddoos.
- Set this aside for about an hour , so that it can retain its shape, before devouring it.
- Shelf life : 10 days ( if stored in an air tight container)